Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements to be a member of FUMC Sherman?
You can fully participate in all almost all aspects of FUMC Sherman without becoming a member and “membership” is not the goal or objective of our church. We seek to meet people where they are and lead them on the journey to fully follow Christ. Our mission is to train and equip disciples for their journey of faith as they come to fully know Christ. In order to achieve this, we DO NEED people who are willing to partner with us and become members. There are two main requirements for membership:
1. You need to have been baptized by a Christian Church during your lifetime. If you have not been baptized, we can do that at The Journey. If you have already been baptized, we do not ‘re-baptize’ you.
2. The second requirement is answering “yes” to the question that all members of a United Methodist church are asked. We are asked to support our church with our prayer, our presence, our gifts, our service, and our witness. We are only as strong as our members make us, so we ask that you make us a strong church by giving what you can in each area.
- Your Prayers - Pray for the church and its members daily.
- Your Presence - Come to church regularly.
- Your Gifts - Give monetarily to support our ministries.
- Your Service - Volunteering your time to serve our Lord.
- Your Witness - Telling others about FUMC Sherman.
What are our beliefs about Baptism?
There are two important covenants that occur during baptism. First is the covenant between God and the individual. You are promising (or are promising for your child) that you belong to God. Second, it is a covenant between the Church and the individual. The Church (as a universal body) agrees to support the individual in their spiritual growth.
Keeping this in mind, some members of the Church need to be present at the baptism, regardless of when and where the baptism takes place.
How do I get baptized? How can I have my child baptized?
To become (or have your child) baptized you will need to contact us in the church office and talk with one of the pastors. Then you will need to schedule a time for the baptism to take place during a worship service.
What are our beliefs about Communion?
The UMC believes that sharing communion is one of the primary ways that God imparts His grace to us. Everyone, regardless of age or belief, is welcome to take part in this sacrament. The communion we share is not FUMC’s communion, or even the UMC’s communion, it belongs to all of God’s people.
We believe that communion is a holy mystery. While we do not believe that the bread and wine are the actual body and blood of Christ, we do not believe that it is simply bread and wine either. Although it’s hard to explain (hence the mystery aspect), we believe that the bread and wine we receive at communion is sacred. We believe that it falls somewhere between being the actual body and blood of Christ and it being simply bread and wine.
Even if you have never stepped foot in a church, you are welcome to join us in receiving communion.
Do we perform marriages?
Absolutely! We would love to be a part of your marriage! Please contact us in the church office in advance of your wedding to make sure there is availability. We usually always have weddings on our schedule, so it’s important to contact us early in the process of preparing for the wedding. Sandy Garbacik manages the wedding schedule. If you have any questions or you would like to reserve a wedding date, please feel free to contact her in the church office.